Mountain Mel’s Essential Goods is on a mission to inspire people to take better care of the planet through taking better care of themselves, naturally. In order to do that, we needed to set an example by building our business with a foundation of sustainability and doing right for the planet!
So far, our steps toward sustainability include:
- We source all of our organically grown plants & oils as locally as possible. If it’s not organically grown, it’s been wild harvested in an ethical fashion that ensures the plants will come back in abundance for future generations.
- Our packaging has been sourced from northwest based suppliers.
- All of our labels are made of FSC certified, recycled, or compostable materials.
- All of our shipping materials are 100% recycled, repurposed, or biodegradable.
- We recycle EVERYTHING! Except for those weird things that come through that unfortunately aren’t recyclable.
- We are lit up by energy efficient lighting, and we only use it when it’s necessary. We’re quite thankful for our bright shiny windows here!
- We choose renewable energy to power our production facility, because seriously, why wouldn’t we?
- We compost all of our materials that are compostable within our facility. When we’re at events, we only use compostable supplies. We even use compostable trash bags at our facility.
- We installed a new energy efficient heating & AC unit in our new facility.
- At Mountain Mel’s Green Canyon Apothecary, we teach and educate people in our community about the benefits of living in a more natural or sustainable fashion, and being connected to the earth. After-all, knowledge is power, and the more people that realize the importance of taking good care of this planet, the greater chance we have of making a difference!
We even go a step further and put our money where our hearts are. We are proud to donate 1% of our annual sales to environmental non profits through 1% for The Planet. We donate money and time to Oregon Wild, Friends of Outdoor School, and United Plant Savers through 1% for the planet.